Thórsmörk Nature Reserve
Thorsmörk nature reserve is the hiker’s paradise and you will get the chance to ride in this wonderland of nature.
- May: 28 - 30
- September: 3 – 5
Horseback Riding in Amazing Nature Reserve
We present here a truly wonderful tour into the fascinating Thorsmörk Nature Reserve. The Thórsmörk area is hiker´s paradise. Riding in this wonderland of nature is pure joy which we have been offering for many years and is still as popular as it was in the beginning.
On our way to Thorsmörk we are reminded of the major volcanic eruptions that occurred in 2010 causing massive disruption to international air traffic. We ride past one of the lava streams that flowed from the mighty glacier-capped volcano with the unpronounceable name, Eyjafjallajökull. We´re in the saddle for 4-7 hours (20-35 km) daily and stay in cozy mountain cabins with our horses nearby. On-site, we have a sauna, an outdoor hot tub and warm showers. Can you imagine the sheer magic of relaxing in a natural hot tub in the highlands of Iceland with the Northern Lights dancing in the sky above? Life hardly gets any better!
- Individual travel insurance is not included in the tour price. We encourage clients to obtain relevant travel insurance before visiting Iceland.
- Flight to and from Iceland is not included
- Please bring your own sleeping bag with you on the tour
- Bring bags rather than hardcover suitcases
- Pack light because transport space is limited.
Day 1: Reykjavík – Thorsmörk
Pick up between 08:00 and 09:00 at pick up points in Reykjavik www.busstop.is. Please be ready at the earliest pickup time and be ready in your riding clothes. We travel by a private coach in the morning, where we will meet horses and staff and start the ride down to the river Markarfljót. We will cross the river on a bridge and continue our ride past glacier lagoons and lava streams into the stunning nature park of Thorsmörk, crossing the glacial river Krossá on our way. Overnight for 2 nights in a cozy cabin in Húsadalur valley where we find sauna, showers, natural hot pool and sunbathing facilities (Approx.35 km)
Day 2: Riding inside Thorsmörk
We will spend the day riding inside the park, visiting numerous waterfalls and canyons. This is truly a wonderful area with the low bushes and glittering mountain creeks all over. Thorsmork has an especially warm climate, better than in the rest of south Iceland. In the protected valley, there is green vegetation of moss, fern, birch wood and other small shrubs. (Approx. 20 km)
Day 3: Thorsmörk – Reykjavík
This day’s ride takes us back across the river Krossá and alongside River Markarfljót until we cross it again on a bridge and take a new route back. After having said farewell to our horses we enjoy refreshments before we drive back to Reykjavík. At approx 17:00 we arrive back in Reykjavik. (Approx. 35 km)
– We reserve the right to alter the itinerary if necessary –
- Bus transfer from Reykjavík to the farm.
- During the ride full board is provided. Our menu consists of a large breakfast and traditional Icelandic meals (fish or lamb). Vegetarian meals are available if requested when booking. All riders make their own packed lunch from the breakfast table.
- Alcoholic beverages are not included in the tour price and are hard to get in the highlands. They can be bought at a reasonable price in the Duty-Free Store at Keflavik Airport upon arrival.
- Rainwear, water bottle, saddle bag, riding helmet.
The Volcano Huts are located in Húsadalur Valley in the Þórsmörk Nature Reserve in Iceland, right next to the Eyjafjallajökull Volcano & Glacier. The unique nature of the Þórsmörk area make this an ideal place for any nature and hiking enthusiast.
- Number of rooms: 3 (2-16 persons)
- Number of beds: 24
- Outdoor jacuzzi: Yes and sauna
- Number of showers: 3 in a separate building
- GSM connection: Yes
- WiFi: 3G
- Made up beds: No (but available)
- Number of WC: 1 and more in separate building
Here you can book your Flybus ticket to and from Reykjavík. The Flybus departs from Keflavík airport 35-40 minutes after each arrival. Busses are located right outside the terminal building. Book my ticket.
Morning pick up: Between 08:00-09:00
Please be ready at the earliest pick up time. Your accommodation might be the first one for pick up.
Terms & conditions:
We request a confirmation payment upon booking of minimum 30% of the tour price. When the confirmation payment is received the seat is secure. The remaining balance is due 6 weeks before the tour departs. If you book the tour through the website the full amount is requested.
Children’s under 12 years receive 25% discount on our multi-day tours.
We reserves the right to alter routes, itineraries or timetables without prior notice, should the necessity arise. No liability is accepted for loss or expenses due to delays or changes of arrival or departures of flights or other services, injury, sickness, accident, strikes, damage, negligence, weather, wars or other causes outside the control of Íslandshestar. All such losses and expenses are the personal liability of the traveler. The estimated duration of tours as indicated by km or timing can change according to road or weather conditions.
For more information please see also our Frequent Asked Questions and/or contact us at [email protected]